The VSAWeather Page from last year (2018) may be found here, but I have removed it from the menu bar at the top of each page.
RASP – Williams, aka 2-3 Day — http://www.huckbone.com/wscrasp.html
- The Williams 2-3 Day RASP is the most accurate forecasting tool available to glider pilots at Williams
RASP – NorCal, aka Panoche, aka 7 Day — https://rasp.nfshost.com/norcal-coast/
- The 7 Day RASP is very helpful since it provides a longer range forecast, and the turnpoints are selectable, but some say that model is less accurate than the Williams 2-3 Day, but there is no consensus regarding accuracy.
- Select any region in the USA. Zoom in and pan to our gliding area. Helpful for flights of greater than normal distances.
GG – Golden Gate — http://www.ggweather.com/loops/ncep_loops.htm
- GPS model (top section) is 12 hour increments. ‘700mb/ at 12z/ All’ is commonly selected and used to show moisture at 10,000 ft.
Windy.com – From WSC pages – https://www.windy.com/39.155/-122.149?800h,38.177,-122.149,7,i:pressure,m:eKqacLA
- Helpful for seeing the big picture, and, you can see forecast weather profiles, including soundings.
Discussion by National Weather Service – https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?prod=XXXAFDMTR&wfo=MTR
- Also, see… https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=STO&issuedby=STO&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1
- The San Fran station has an ID of MTR ( see it at the end of the address line above re:Discussion)
- The Sacamento NWS has an ID of STO
7 Day forecast NWS – 7-Day Forecast for Latitude 39.15°N and Longitude 122.13°W (Elev. 72 ft)
Skysight.com – This is a good one that provides fcst several days more than the 2 Day Williams RASP, but most pilots agree the 2 Day Williams RASP is THE most accurate for a one day forecast.
- See this link provides more info on “skysight” … https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/skysight/
Satellite Imagery National Weather Service (NWS)
GOES 17 Images of Pacific NW coastline – vivid color images of visible clouds (discovered by Pete-98 (1/2/19)
Spot Forecast by NWS
- Stonyford A good one to check if you are taking a mountain tow
For those pilots looking for standard pressure charts: Cool weather page by Morgan
Significant changes continue in the world of weather forecasting.
- The GPS weather model has often been shown to unreliable for forecasts more than four days (but Federal funding is supposedly improving, in spite of non-believers in global warming). The European model is the best available.
- Windy.com provides just about all of the info you need for a forecast of more than two days – if you become adept at using menu choices, it’s like watching a TV show. See pressure patterns at all levels, moisture, temps, thus clouds as well as precipitation. Simply amazing. It’s no wonder why UNISYS was forced to shutdown – it was in need of a major overhaul.