Back in the days
- before Tom Jue started creating professional looking News Letters (See March ’03 to June 2010)
- before PDF files were common place
- before we embedded graphics on every page
- before we realized our typewriters had become obsolete
- before any of us had a smart phone
- before we had our own VSA Domain Name
- even before Apple Corp was selling ” i ” anything….
Before all of that, the VSA had a presence on the internet referred to most commonly as the www. Our presence was in the form of posting by Peter Kelly, reporting the local soaring news, garnered from personal exchanges, emails, and rumors heard at the gliderport. These “Soaring Diary” posting were started in Vacaville in the early 90’s, and continued as we moved from Vacaville to Dixon to Williams.
Before the internet, The VSA printed Newsletters and distributed them via the US Postal Service. It was done on a monthly basis for the first four years and then bi-monthly for a year or two, and then semi-annually. The point is, we have always had a communications medium, accomplished by members contributing many hours of their busy lives to help others to also enjoy the sport of soaring. Thanks, to all of those volunteers, past and present.